Visible learning by John Hattie – this allows us to reflect on what actually makes an impact to children’s learning.
As teachers, we should be mindful of…..
- My fundamental task is to evaluate the effect of my teaching on students’ learning and achievement.
- The success and failure of my students’ learning is about what I do or don’t do. I am a change agent.
- I want to talk more about learning than teaching.
- Assessment is about my impact.
- I teach through dialogue not monologue.
- I enjoy the challenge and never retreat to “doing my best”.
- It’s my role to develop positive relationships in class and staffrooms.
- I inform all about the language of learning.
A great infographic about feedback from http://visible-learning.org/2015/02/infographic-feedback-for-learning/
Hattie looked at effect size of impact on learning (http://visible-learning.org/2009/02/visible-learning-meta-study/) and (http://visible-learning.org/hattie-ranking-influences-effect-sizes-learning-achievement/)
The top of Hattie’s list is self reported grades. What does this mean?